My Opinion on Illegal Immigrants

Whenever you hear the word immigrant the first thing that comes to most peoples minds is someone who’s illegal but an immigrant is a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country. What do you think about immigration laws? Do you feel that there should be different laws for adults and kids? Barack Obama once said “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” So if we want to see a change in immigration we need to work for it.

From the side, the illegal immigrants I am tired of seeing families being torn apart because they’re being deported some who just got here and others that have spent almost all of their lives here and think of North America as their home. Every year there is a huge number of immigrants coming in here, some may wonder if it’s for the best or for the worst, but what everyone has to see and understand is all of the emotional damage it may do to the families.

“We are and always will be in the nation of immigrants” Barack Obama. U.S. immigration law is very complex, and there is much confusion as to how it works. The Immigration and Naturalization Act (INA), the body of law governing current immigration policy, provides for an annual worldwide limit of 675,000 permanent immigrants, with certain exceptions for close family members. Do you have an idea of the number of immigrants that come in every year? Since 2000, legal immigrants to the United States number approximately 1,000,000 per year, of whom about 600,000 are Change of Status who already are in the U.S. In the early 2000s, immigration accounted for roughly 40 percent of U.S. population growth, leaving 60 percent from natural increase. That census was taken in the early 2000s that means that by know almost half of the population would be made up immigrants. That sounds like a big number but that’s not including all of the immigrants that enter the country illegally. Studies have shown that 40 million foreign-born residents live in the US. 11.7 million of that population is undocumented.

Hilary Clinton once said “We are a country where people of all backgrounds, all nation of origins, all languages, all religions, all races, can make a home. America was built by immigrants.” Immigration can have many different outcomes and it can be view in many different ways. But in the end, you can’t classify it as good or bad. When people immigrate it’s good for the economy in the way that it means there are more people so more jobs which create more money meaning the economy will grow. They will bring their children who will receive an education and graduate from college which means we will have more professionals in the work field. Lastly, it will bring so many families together, most people come here looking for the American dream and have to leave their families behind or come here looking for their family.

Do you know how hard it is to let someone go? Imagine living here all of your life and one day waking up to seeing that one of your family members is gone and that it might be forever because they were deported. Deportation is up by 9% this year. About half of the U.S. population is made up of immigrants so just imagine how many families have broken apart because of status. It hurts to see how that happens and most of the time people come escaping a bad situation or a bad memory from their country of origin and at the end, they just send them back like if they don’t matter.

You know that at the end we’re all immigrants and that’s something we can’t change. They can’t make us feel less because of where we come from. Instead, we should come together and try to help each other with getting adjusted to a new life. I know that the U.S. can’t just let everybody in but they should make adjustments to the current law right now. Maybe they could investigate more on the person they are actually deporting or try to create new opportunities for them. In the end, they just end up hurting the family and maybe even themselves, in the long run, you never know what important contributions the person they’re deporting could bring to the table.

Did you like this example?

Cite this page

My opinion on illegal immigrants. (2021, Jun 14). Retrieved October 6, 2022 , from

This paper was written and submitted by a fellow student

Our verified experts write
your 100% original paper on any topic

Check Prices

Having doubts about how to write your paper correctly?

Our editors will help you fix any mistakes and get an A+!

Get started
Leave your email and we will send a sample to you.
Go to my inbox